Above ground pools for dummies (part VII): Post scriptum

This post is part of the six-part series dedicated to above ground pools:

Okay, today is November 8, and it looks like it is time to park the pool for the winter. If you ask me if I'm satisfied with the pool, I'd say that it exceeded my expectations. I bought it mostly for the kids, but after a few weeks of regular use, their enthusiasm faded, and by September/October I was mostly in the pool by myself. Last week, I took what I think was the last swim of the season when the water temperature was 68°F and it was still great (the perfect water temperature for me would be 82°F). Here are some thoughts and observations after the first season of use.

CHEMICALS

Maintaining water chemicals was easier than I had expected. After initial setup, I only added a bag or two of salt, so all chemicals for the season cost me under $150. I needed to buy a bottle of liquid chlorine once because I turned the salt water system off for over a week and the chlorine level turned too low. At the same time I noticed the pool walls were a bit slimy, so I used a microfiber towel to wipe them (by hand) and once I balanced the chlorine level, it did not happen again.

I have to admit that I still did not quite figure out how to use the test strips. So I mostly rely on the good people of Leslie's who can give me more accurate about my pool water needs.

CLEANING

The part that I did not like doing was cleaning the bottom of the pool. I have not bought a battery powered hand vacuum, yet, so I was using the Intex cleaning kit. It worked but it was a hassle: I had to remove and reconnect the hoses and it took a long time to do. I bought a small manual vacuum, but that thing was almost useless unless you need to pick up a leaf or two. Then I saw an Intex vacuum on sale, so I wanted to give it a try, and it changed my life. You connect the vacuum to the inlet that pushes water from the pump into the pool (I know, it's a bit counter intuitive) and the vacuum starts rolling and picking up debris from the bottom. I read a few reviews from people complaining that the vacuum does not work, but I suspect it's because their pumps are not strong enough.

Anyway, the vacuum works really well, but you need to clean the prefilter in the hose connector every couple of day or it will block the water flow and may break the pump (I wish the design allowed for a bypass when the prefilter is plugged, but alas). To get it off the way when using the pool, I switch water intake to the waterfall and hang the vacuum hose over the pool wall. I only cleaned collection basket of the vacuum a couple of times, so other than prefilter, it requires very little maintenance.

SKIMMER

I think I figured out why I was having a problem with the skimmer. At some point I tried closing the second skimmer valve with the flow reduction plug, and it worked okay for a while, but then I noticed the same problem: low pressure and a lot of air bubbles. Then I realized that the hose that connects the surface skimmer to the skimmer valve is deformed.

What I think is happening: when the skimmer sock gets dirty and restricts the flow the pump (being too powerful) puts a lot of pressure and since water flow is restricted it sucks the hose in restricting the flow even more. I'm not sure how to solve this problem, but I'm considering installing an in-the-wall skimmer which should not have this problem. For now, I am still running the skimmer with the second valve fully open. It does not work as well as if I had it plugged, but it works nonetheless.

CANOPY

The canopy turned out to be very useful. During hot summer days it helped to keep water a few degrees cooler (I do not like when water temperature goes over 86°F) and it offered some shade during day times when the sun was high.

If you live in a hot climate, I'd highly recommend.

MISCELLANEOUS

I did not have any issues with leaks (including the original leak I had after assembly, the patch seemed to work), but the connecting rod at the corner where the ground level was is a bit lower bent causing the corner of the pool to sink about an inch more. I need to get a new rod for the next season and fix the ground level at the corner.

I found post from people complaining about a similar issue, which raises a question whether the connecting rods should be made form a stronger material.

After I disassemble the pool and park it for the winter in storage, I will post another update, so I will use a placeholder post for now to keep them together.

NEXT: ABOVE GROUND POOLS FOR DUMMIES (PART VIII): POST POST SCRIPTUM

PREVIOUS: ABOVE GROUND POOLS FOR DUMMIES (PART VI): CONCLUSION

FIRST: INTRODUCTION

Comments