Above ground pools for dummies (part IV): Pump/filter/skimmer

This post is part of the six-part series dedicated to above ground pools:

In the previous post, I already described how the above ground pool and pump/filter work together. Here, I will cover a few details and go over the issues I ran into while setting up and running the pump. I will also go over the surface skimmer usage.

PARTS

In case you skipped the previous posts, here are the parts that I used:

PUMP/FILTER SETUP

As I mentioned, I am not using the pump that came with my pool. I bought an upgraded pump that also includes a salt water system (the salt water system generates chlorine from salt water). This pump is big and powerful. In fact, it is more powerful than officially recommended for my pool size, which is okay (I did ask Intex support and they said it was absolutely fine). From what I understand, the rule of thumb is to get the most powerful pump that would work with your pool.

My 0.6 horse-power pump processes 2,150-2,650 gallons per hour and is recommended for the pool sizes between 4,800 and 15,000 gallons. My pool holds about 4,500 gallons, which means that it can process the full pool water capacity in a 2-3 hours. It does not mean that running the pump for 2-3 hours is enough, but it means that it can be run less than a smaller pump and it has enough power (at least, in theory) to handle add-on devices, such as a surface skimmer or a water hose vacuum.

Anyway, enough about the specs and let's get back to the setup.

My pump manual has a link to the YouTube video that explains how to connect and run the pump. I pretty much followed the instructions, but encountered several problems.

PROBLEM #1: HOSES

While setting up the pump, I could not find the two smaller 1.25" hoses that connect the T-join valve to the pool skimmer valves. I assumed it was a packaging issue, but eventually figured out that they were not supposed to be part of the package. These two hoses came with the original filter which I did not even open. After locating the hoses, I was able to connect all the pieces.

PROBLEM #2: BACKWASH

One of the initial pump setup steps requires to perform a backwash which flushes the filter in the reverse direction. The instructions ask to connect one of the hoses to the backwash opening, but do not specify which one. So, I was not sure which hose was supposed to be moved. Logically, it should be the hose connected to the return valve, but I did not want to take chances and ran the backwash operation with no hoses connected to the backwash opening. It was fine, but the next time I do it, I will use the hoses that came with my original filter. You can also buy extra hoses for under $20.

PROBLEM #3: LEAKS

After connecting all hoses to the pool and pump, I noticed a couple of minor leaks at the connection points tightened with screws. I thought I had tightened them pretty well and was afraid to break the plastic if I were to tighten them more. Eventually, I disconnected and reconnected the hoses, so the O-ring in each connection moved to a slightly different position and this took care of the leaks.

PROBLEM #4: SKIMMER

Okay, lets talk about the surface skimmer.

SURFACE SKIMMER

The surface skimmer is supposed to collect the debris from the pool water surface. Whether you need one depends on the location of your pool. My pool is located next to some big trees and there is a lot of debris falling into it. When I first filled the pool and came to check it the next day, I could not believe how much crap was there on the surface: pollen, small leaves, insects, flower petals, etc. You can obviously use a hand skimmer to pick up bigger objects from the surface, but the surface skimmer is intended to do it for you and if you use the surface skimmer with the pool skimmer socks [sponsored link], it will pick up all the tiny particles that would otherwise end up in the filter. So, in many cases using a surface skimmer is a great idea. Except it does not work as intended with the pools that have two skimmer valves. Let me explain.

Before I explain, let's clarify the terminology because in this context, the word skimmer applies to two things: one is the add-on surface skimmer device and the other is the original skimmer valve connected to the opening in the pool liner through which water flows into the pump. When referring to the surface skimmer device, I will call it the surface skimmer. So, if you have a single skimmer valve, you have no problem, but with two skimmer valves (and that's what my pool has), the instructions tell you to connect the surface skimmer hose to one valve and insert the flow reduction plug that comes with the surface skimmer package into the other. The flow reduction plug intends to increase the flow rate of the open skimmer valve (since the water would flow mostly trough one opening instead of two). In essence, it should cause the surface skimmer to suck better. And it does. The problem is that after plugging the second skimmer valve, the flow pressure in the pump drops below normal and you get the low pressure error on the pump LED screen.

I did a lot of research and found several posts complaining about the same issue. I called Intex customer support but their recommendations (make sure there is no air, etc.) did not help. I submitted a question to the Intex customer support via email, but got a canned response repeating the instructions in the manual. I do not know if this is because my pump is too powerful of if this is an expected outcome, but I could not figure out how to solve this. I ended up removing the flow reduction plug from the second skimmer valve which reduced the flow rate in the surface skimmer, but it still seems to work, so I will keep using it.

If you decide to use a surface skimmer, keep in mind that you need to install it in such way that the top blue ring floats on the water surface (keeping bigger objects within the ring). while the top of the skimmer container is a few inches under the water surface. Even though the instructions spell it out, I see some people not getting it.

If you wonder about the skimmer socks, I replace them once or twice per week. After clean up the gunk and washing the dirty socks, I reuse them.

TIPS

Here are some tips on the pool pump usage.

  • Install the pool pump on a leveled, stable surface. Your pump may be different in size, but for my pump, I used two 24"x16" concrete paver blocks I found at Lowe's. When combined, the blocks fit between the two inner pool legs and provide enough surface for the pump.
  • Do not install the pump right next to the pool. Leave a couple of feet between the pool liner and the pump to accomodate hoses.
  • For the pumps with sand filters, make sure you use the proper sand, which is normally #20 silica pool sand (you can find it at pool supply and home improvement stores). With regular backwashing, the pool sand should last about five years (then it must be replaced).
  • I can't vouch for other models, but my pool pump is quiet. I can hardly hear it when standing a few yards away (but I can hear my neighbor's in ground pool pump a few dozen yards away).
  • Instructions that came with my pump and the YouTube video produced by Intex explain how to set up the run time for different pump operations. Yet, they fail to explain at what time the operations must start. It looks like the start time will be whenever you program the timer. Say, it's 9:05 AM and you just programmed the pump timer to run for six hours. It will finish running at 3:05 PM and then run daily starting at 9:05 AM. I'm still not clear what happens if you turn it on manually at different time (say, I turn it again at 6 PM).
  • If you need to repair, replace or reconnect valves or hoses that connect the pool to the pipe, you can use the plugs that come with the pool, so you do not need to drain water.
  • When setting up the pool, do not even connect the pump's electrical cord to the power outlet until you fill it with water enough to cover the skimmer valves (and return valve). This way, you eliminate the risk of accidentally turning the pump on when there is no water flow (that could cause damage).

If you read the four parts of this series, I hope you got a better understanding of how to install and operate an above ground pool. The only aspect that we need to cover is the use of chemicals, which I will do next.

NEXT: ABOVE GROUND POOLS FOR DUMMIES (PART V): CHEMICALS

PREVIOUS: ABOVE GROUND POOLS FOR DUMMIES (PART III): POOL ASSEMBLY

FIRST: INTRODUCTION

Comments