In the closet

Because my 749 square feet house has no walk-in closet, I tried to maximize the usable space of the bedroom closets by:

  1. Installing the floor-to-ceiling sliding doors, and
  2. Using a felxible closet storage system.

The problem with the high sliding doors, well... actually, two problems. First, they are more expensve. Second, selection is really limited. My contractor chose a plain door face and used a router to make the pattern similar to my other doors. This worked out nicely.

Selecting a closet system, took me some googling. I don't know anyone who uses them, so couldn't get any feedback. The best article on the subject I found was from 2014, but it still had a lot of valuable info:

REAL MOD: Closet Storage Systems: Elfa vs. Rubbermaid vs. Closetmaid

Accorfing to the article, Rubbermaid offered the most for the buck, so this is what I picked:

Rubbermaid Configurations Deluxe Closet Kit, Titanium, 4-8 Ft.

I wasn't sure whether to go with white or titanium color. Chose titanium and so far I like it. It seems to be a bit more expensive and there are fewer accessory parts, but I am not planning to expand it any time soon, so it is not an issue at this point.

Another question was length. The most common configurations are 3-6 feet and 4-8 feet. My closets are 4 and 5 feet long, so I chose the more expensive (about $160) 4-8 feet version. It worked fine, but if I was really short on cash, I think the 3-6 feet system, such as Rubbermaid Configurations Deluxe Closet Kit, Titanium, 3-6 Ft, would work just as well for almost half the price.

By the time we had to do closets, I was not sure what I wanted, so I told my contractor not to worry about it. Once I figured it out, I had to install the closet system myself and it wasn't too hard. This video was helpful:

I was planning to ignore the guy's advice about using the after-market toggle bolts but eventually realized that he was spot on: the screws that came with the closet kit were pretty bad. So I ordered The Hillman Group 370054 Toggle Bolt, 3/16X3-Inch, 50-Pack from Amazon and, oh, boy, what a difference.

NEXT: FAN OF SORROW

PREVIOUS: KITCHEN UNDERCABINET LIGHTING (PART III)

FIRST: INTRODUCTION

Comments