Above ground pools for dummies (part I): Introduction

This post is part of the six-part series dedicated to above ground pools:

After playing with the idea of getting an above ground swimming pool for a few years, I finally gave up and bought one. In fact, I started looking for the pool deals a couple of years ago, but COVID raised the prices significantly and I was not ready to pay $2-3K for what used to cost under $1K. In spring of 2023, the prices finally started to drop, so I got one from Amazon for about $1K, but buying a pool was the easy part.

Having never owned a pool before, I had no idea how to install or use one, so it took me a lot of research to find the answers to the basic questions. If you are thinking about getting an above ground pool but have no idea where to start, let me cover a few basics.

WHY HAVE A POOL?

I have been trying to avoid the hassles of pool ownership and use alternatives (public pool, gym, water parks, friends' pools, etc.) for several years, but found them to be no lesser hassles. Our local public pool has limited and rather inconvenient hours (mostly during the hottest time of the day).

A gym membership for the family is not cheap, and seems like a waste if you only need it for pool access. Water parks are not something one would use often. Friends have their own schedules that may not match yours. And every one of these alternatives requires a trip: you need to get the family together with at least one adult, get into a car, drive somewhere, and so on. Having a pool in the backyard is a lot easier: you can use it at any time of day or night, you do not care about the COVID restrictions, your kids do not need you to drive them somewhere and have something to do on the hot days other than playing computer games and watching YouTube videos.

WHY ABOVE GROUND POOL?

Okay, I admit: I initially considered an in ground pool, but decided against it for a few reasons. First, nowadays, installing an in ground pool in the greater Sacramento area costs about $70K. That's a bit over my budget. Had the cost been in the $20-30K range, I would've looked at it closer, but there is no way I am paying $70K for a pool. At least, not at this time because, and here comes number two.

I am not sure I will like owning a pool to begin with. I talked to a few friends who have in ground pools, and while about half of them love their pools, the other half hates them. Not having a pool before, I do not want to make a $70K mistake. It will always be an option but starting with the above ground pool will give me some idea whether I would like to keep one.

Third, while the Sacramento summers are hot, we'd only use the pool for four--or, at most, five--months of the year (from the end of May through September). Had we lived in Florida, it would've been a different story, but in our location, the pool would stay unused for more than half of the year. Finally, once you get an in ground pool installed, there is no way back. If, for some reason, we do not like it, what would we do? I have friends who told me they would rather fill their pool with concrete but it would be too costly.

WHY NOT ABOVE GROUND POOL?

My main objection to the idea of installing an above ground pool is due to aesthetics. Let's state the obvious: out-of-the box, above ground pools are ugly. All of them. Regardless of the make, model, and type. Now, depending on the backyard layout and the depth of your wallet, there are ways to give an above ground pool a face lift, so to speak, such as building a deck or installing a cover. That's something I'm considering if I decide to keep mine for more than just a few years.

The second problem is the pool depth limit, which for in ground pools is a subject to your willingness to dig, while for above ground pools, the depth generally does not exceed 52 inches (there are some hard-sided 54-inch above ground pools, but for soft sided, I think 52 inches are the max). And this is the height of the pool hardware we're talking about. The water level stays around 4 feet or so (and for the common 48-inch above ground pools, it is even more shallow). I'm about six feet tall, and when I stand in my 52-inch deep pool, the water level is just above my belly button. I must mention that you can install an above ground pool with a deep end (like 6-7 feet deep), but this is not purely above ground (kind of a hybrid), and it will cost a lot more than what you would spend for a standard 48-/52-/54-inch tall above ground pool.

Also, above ground pools are more prone to breaking: hardware can rust, liner can leak.

Finally, while you can build an in ground pool of any form, above ground pools are limited to the three basic shapes: round, rectangular, and oval.

WHAT TYPE?

There are two major above-ground pool types: hard-sided (semi-permanent, with hard side panels) and soft-sided (where the liner hangs on the top frame attached on the steel legs). Yes, there are more variations, but I think these are the most likely options if you want anything more or less resembling a real pool.

Traditional hard-sided pools are the ones that can be beautified more easily with the tricks I mentioned above, but they cost more (at least twice more) and they are more complex to install.

Pool deck idea from a Facebook group

I decided to start with the high quality soft-sided pool, because it was the easiest and cheapest option. Also, my backyard area is not big enough to accommodate a big pool, so my options were limited to a pretty much one size: 18' x 9' x 52".

WHAT SHAPE?

As I just mentioned, I chose a rectangular shape because of the limitations of my backyard. I prefer the rectangular shape because it is easier to work with: easier to reach for cleaning, install add-ons such as solar cover holder, etc. I just wish I had more space so I could install a bigger (e.g. 24' x 12' x 52") version of my pool model.

WHAT MAKER?

The most popular pool makers include Intex and Bestway/Coleman. I chose Intex because their pools seem to be more available and have higher ratings. Intex also offers many other pool products (filters, pumps, etc.) that can work together. I'm not sure if Intex product quality is better than the competition (I have mixed experience), so how it will work is yet to be seen (I will provide an update).

WHAT TO BUY?

In addition to the pool set, not counting chemicals and landscape materials which I will cover later, there are a few things that you will need to buy. Here is my list [with the sponsored links]:

  1. Pools set (INTEX 26355EH Ultra XTR Deluxe Rectangular Above Ground Swimming Pool Set: 18ft x 9ft x 52in – Includes 1500 GPH Sand Filter Pump): I chose the XTR deluxe set because it is better quality than the alternatives.
  2. Pump (INTEX 26679EG QX2600 Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System for Above Ground Pools, 16in): Most (if not all) pool sets come with underpowered pumps (I have no idea why pool makers do this; why not give an option to buy a better pump with the kit instead of providing a bad one?). I chose the pump that is a bit too powerful for my pool size, but it is not a problem (more power means less run time). I also opted for the salt water system because after talking to a number of people I figured it would be cheaper to run and the chlorine produced by the salt water system is somewhat milder on the skin. I need to mention that the salt water system has certain drawbacks: salt can be corrosive to metals, stone, and plants; some people do not like salt water; pumps with salt water system are more expensive than the ones without and may require extra maintenance (also, more parts to break). Whether to use salt or regular water is up to you, but I chose salt and like it so far (if I change my mind, I will post an update).
  3. Pool filter sand: I bought three 50-pound bags because my filter pump required 120 pounds of sand. Keep in mind that smaller pumps may need less and some pump filters do not use sand at all. I found it on Amazon (no longer available), but you can buy pool sand at pretty much any local pool supply or hardware store, such as Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc. Just make sure the type of sand matches your filter pump requirements (normally, it must be #20 silica sand).
  4. Skimmer (Intex Deluxe Wall Mount Surface Skimmer): A skimmer is necessary if you want to keep the surface of your pool water clean of debris, such as bugs, leaves, pollen, etc. It is not required, but I found it useful (on the very next day after I filled my pool with water, I could not believe how much crap I found on the surface, but once I installed the skimmer, I no longer have this issue).
  5. Foot bath (INTEX 29080E Pool Foot Bath - Gray): Before you get into the pool, step into the foot bath filled with water and it will keep the dirt and sand that would otherwise land on the pool liner. The foot bath I link here works with the ladders that come with the Intex pool kits (like this or that); for other ladders, you may need to find a different foot bath (or use a simple plastic tray).
  6. Pool maintenance kit (Intex 28003E Deluxe Pool Maintenance Kit for Above Ground Pools): There are other pool maintenance kits available, but this one has everything you need for the manual cleanup. One problem though: while the vacuum works great, it is a pain to set up (you need to connect the long hose to the inlet, fill the hose with water, not something you want to do on a regular basis), so for regular vacuuming, I suggest using a different type of vacuum (see below), while you can use the vacuum from this kit for occasional, more intensive jobs.
  7. Hand held vacuum (INTEX 28620EP Rechargeable USB Handheld Pool Vacuum: 94in Telescoping Aluminum Shaft – Waterproof Switch – Two Interchangeable Brush Heads – Shaft Adapter – 50min Battery Life): I have not bought this vacuum, yet (waiting for a deal), but I heard good things about it. This vacuum (or a similar alternative) would make the small cleaning jobs a lot easier: no need to mess with hoses, connect and disconnect inlets.
  8. Auto pool cleaner (Intex Recreation Corp 28001E Intex Auto Pool Cleaner, 1 Pack, Grey): Keeps the pool bottom clean (IMPORTANT: remember to flush the prefilter next to the valve every couple of days).
  9. Solar pool cover (INTEX 28016E Solar Pool Cover: For 18ft Rectangular Frame Pools): This cover is for my pool (18' x 9'), so if your pool is different, you may need a different size. This cover is a lot easier to install than the pool cover that comes with the pool and it warms the water up by a few degrees. The main downside, according to customer comments, is that it does not last long, but it is also not very expensive. If you like your pool water cool, you should skip this.
  10. Canopy (Intex 28054E Canopy for 9' and Smaller Rectangular Pool, Gray): Offers some shade and keeps the water a few degrees cooler on the hot and sunny days.
  11. Solar cover reel (Intex 28051 Solar Roller): If you are using a solar pool cover, a reel can make it easier to roll the cover in and out (you may need one for your pool size, although, I'm not sure how it would work for non-rectangular pools). I'm yet to buy this one, so again: no personal experience.
  12. Pool thermometer (Intex 29039 B00I9LO0Z8 Floating Pool Thermometer, 1-Pack, White): If you want to know the water temperature, get a thermometer (there are many available, including cheap ones you can get at a local Walmart store). UPDATE: DO NOT BUY THIS THERMOMETER. IT DOES NOT WANT TO STAY UPRIGHT.
  13. Pool basket (Pool Basket, Large Poolside Storage Basket): Great for keeping towels and small items like phone and keys by your side.
  14. Plastic hooks (Carrie Box Poolside Pool Leaf Skimmer Net Holder, Recycled Plastic, Landing Net Holder, Telescopic Poles, Europe Made (Grey)):This will hold the telescoping poles and other cleaning equipment on the side of the pool.

I also bought an automatic pool cleaner, but decided to return it because it takes me a couple of minutes to clean the bottom of my pool by hand and I do not need to do it often. The automatic cleaner would be always on the way and I'm not sure if it would work better than manual cleanup. Also, I'm afraid that an automatic cleaner would be bumping into the ladder or liner. For bigger pools, it may be a good option, but for a smaller pool like mine, I think, an automatic cleaner is an overkill.

Okay, so far, I covered the basic above ground pool aspects. In the next posts, I will address the questions related to the pool installation, maintenance, and chemical usage.

NEXT: ABOVE GROUND POOLS FOR DUMMIES (PART II): SITE PREPARATION

PREVIOUS: ON THE FENCE

FIRST: INTRODUCTION

Comments